Blackall Simonds (1839-1905) The eldest son of George Simonds (1794-1852) (The ‘G’ of H&G Simonds) was the 1st boy at St Andrews School (now Bradfield College, Berkshire) in February 1850. When he left in 1857, the school had grown to 97 pupils.
He lived for many years at ‘The Priory’ 120 Bath Road, Reading. Conveniently next door to his nephew Louis de Luze Simonds and within walking distance from the Brewery. On his death childless, he left his home Bradfield House, which he had designed and had built in about 1901, to the school, where it remains the Headmaster’s house. Apart from succeeding to the family business he was by profession an architect and civil engineer having trained in the office of Sir John Fowler. He was responsible for the design and construction of the vaulted concrete beer & wine stores at the Brewery in the early 1870’s. Reputedly the earliest un-reinforced concrete structure of this type.
He served as Alderman and Mayor of Reading 1882~83, then High Sheriff of Berkshire in 1901.
His personal Coat of Arms survives on a family document:
He remained Brewery Chairman up until his death in 1905 when his younger brother George had to take on the role.