Henry Simonds (1785-1874) was born at Brewery House on Bridge Street, Reading, the 2nd son of William Blackall Simonds & Elizabeth May. He married Mary Goodman (?) in May 1811 and they had 4 children.
This fragile charcoal and chalk image was in the boardroom at the H&G Simonds offices on Bridge Street, then following demolition of that building in 1980, it was moved to the new Courage Boardroom in Staines, on the site of the old Ashby’s Brewery. It was kindly returned to the family when that office was closed in 2009.
Henry with his younger brother George Simonds (1794-1885) gave their initials to make H&G Simonds. When the original partnership was turned into a limited company in 1885 Henry became the first Chairman. He was described as a Brewer and Wine and Spirit Merchant.
He lived his later years at ‘The Old Rectory’ [later Caversham Court] in Caversham.
Family folklore relates that he was a contemporary of William Gladstone at Eton becoming friends, but political adversaries.