Coates produced the map of record of Reading in the early 19th Century.
This map shows the limited spread of the town at that time
Here, the then Brewery site on the East side of Seven Bridges Street is outlined in green
It is unclear if at this date they owned or occupied the the land East of the Vinegar yard. It was later used by C&G Ayres, but they may have been renting it from the family. Nor is the true extent of the Sowden’s brewery, which could have been smaller than shown and was taken over in the 1850’s. It is tricky to reconcile this with the 1837 map from our archives, shown lower down this timeline.
Maps courtesy of a copy by Reading Borough, 1969